While there was no district court in Keelung after the restoration of Taiwan in 1945, Keelng was under the venue of Taiwan Taipei District Court. Afterwards, the Department of Judicial Administration planed to establish the Taiwan Keelung District Court in 1950. On August 29 th , 1950, Mr. Chu Shih-lieh was appointed as the first chief judge who took charge of founding of this court. On December 9 th , 1950, the Taiwan High Court started to convert all civil and criminal disputes in Keelung City, originally under Taiwan Taipei District Court's venue, to Taiwan Keelung District Court, from that month on. This is the origin of this court.
This court was originally located at 23, Hsin-wu Rd., Keelung City. However, due to the increase of workloads and staffs, its capacity was no longer sufficient. Thus this court was moved to the current location on July 15 th , 1960.
On May 8 th , 1998, the Taiwan High Court desided to convert all civil and criminal disputes as well as non-contentious matters in Rueifang, Gongliao, Pingsi, Shuangsi, Jinshan and Wanli townships of Taipei county, previously under the venue of Taiwan Taipei District Court or Taiwan Shihlin District court, to this court, from July of that same year on. While it has enlarged the venue of this court, this policy has also facilitated the access to judicial services for the residents of those townships.